PDA

View Full Version : Is this computer good enough?

InVinCiBLe
02-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi, I'm going to get a new laptop soon and I want to know if this computer is good enough to play HL2 and any new games that might be coming out in the imminent future without any lag. Here is the link to where they sell it at bestbuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1099386075236&skuId=6969097&type=product

Also, the video card on the bestbuy website is wrong. The computer actually has a Radeon 9600 or 9700 video card. To add to that, I just want to know if that computer is worth the price.

On another note... can someone please explain to me what the difference between Pentium 4, Centrino, Pentium M, and Athlon64 is?

THX

pHATe
02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Go for it man amd 64 bit is the future, a gig or ram is great, the graphics card is ok, a superdrive. I'd say go for it and the laptop makes it better.

(NOTE ABOUT LAPTOPS) :eek:
Having a laptop on your lap can lower sperm count. The reason testes are outside of the body (in the scrotum) is for the 2 or 3 degrees lower temp when a warm sometimes hot laptop is placed on the lap (covering the jewels) it raises temp 2 degrees every 20 minutes max about 8 degrees. If you dont believe me ill show you proof. Its fine if you dont want kids or are a girl...

just a little advice...
pHATe...

HmniQ
02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Having a laptop on your lap can lower sperm count.While this statement is true, you are extending it to non-truth. The lowered sperm count is only a temporary effect. Give it a few days and it will be back up. Reason being that sperm are created all the time, while eggs are not. Thus if it lowered egg count, then you'd have some problems.

pHATe
02-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Pentium 4=good, Centrino=sucks, Pentium M=lots of wireless, AMD 64=Great (future of gaming)

pHATe
02-06-2005, 10:23 PM
The warmer conditions can also tamper with the ability to produce sperm later in life. I read it in discover magizine. How could they be wrong?

Kitch
02-06-2005, 11:27 PM
ATI Mobility RADEON 9550 graphics with 64MB video memory; S-video TV-out

Thats going to be your biggest bottleneck. The main problem with laptops is 3D gaming. They can get powerful processors and lots of memory, but adding in a powerful video card is a bit beyond them at the time.

HL2 recommends a 128 card I beileve. If you can somehow find a better mobile 3D card, get that.

Other then that, awsome system.

pHATe
02-06-2005, 11:55 PM
He said he card was a radeon 9600 thats a 128 its either an SE, reg, or XT
and all of those are 128 cards.

InVinCiBLe
02-07-2005, 12:25 AM
ATI Mobility RADEON 9550 graphics with 64MB video memory; S-video TV-out

Thats going to be your biggest bottleneck. The main problem with laptops is 3D gaming. They can get powerful processors and lots of memory, but adding in a powerful video card is a bit beyond them at the time.

HL2 recommends a 128 card I beileve. If you can somehow find a better mobile 3D card, get that.

Other then that, awsome system.

Do you think that I should wait until around August and see what new things they bring up because I don't really need the laptop yet... my dad wants to get me one when I go to college.

InVinCiBLe
02-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Also, I found a HP laptop with an X600 or X300 video card... it says "Graphics card
Available ATI Mobility Radeon x600 with PCI Express x16 with up to 256MB dedicated memory"

Is this card good enough?

pHATe
02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
the x800 is better...

Kitch
02-10-2005, 07:25 PM
That card is more then good enough. Better then my desktop =\

HmniQ
02-10-2005, 08:49 PM
The X800 would turn a laptop into a pile of molten solder.

InVinCiBLe
02-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I was referring to the x300... do you guys think that it is good enough to play hl2?

UrbanMerc |- Godsend
02-11-2005, 11:41 AM
looks like pretty good specs but i would NEVER buy a gateway.

you remember how they used to have that upgrade plan where after 2 years you can trade it it? well that because gateway makes garbage and it HAS to be replaced after 2 years.

i have an acer 4501wlmi

1.5ghz pentium M
512mb ddr400
40gb hd
dvd-+ burner
card reader
radeon 9700

my laptop plays HL2 with ease. I do want to upgrade the ram and eventualy get a bigger hd but so far this thing kicks ass.

###EDIT###

i just looked at the specs orf that laptop again and it uses pc2700. that is ridiculous for an AMD 64 laptop. AMD64 requires ddr400 to not be bottlenecked. that pc2700 is going to choke that thing to death.

they also didn't list battery life whch is a big deal with laptops. mine lasts on average of 3 hours while watching a movie or playing a game. it can run up to 5 hours doing other things.

UrbanMerc |- Godsend
02-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Pentium 4=good, Centrino=sucks, Pentium M=lots of wireless, AMD 64=Great (future of gaming)

^ has no idea what he is talking about

P4's in laptop's are battery wasters
P4-M's are just mobile P4's with some hefty power saving options
centrino is NOT a cpu it is a collection of hardware. its basicdally just a gimic. centrino is a P4-m with wireless
AMD 64's great in desktops not sure how good they are in laptops.

Hi BOb
02-11-2005, 12:33 PM
hum godsend you mean he doesn't have a idea on somethings. I dont know about a laptop but I would go with 64bit hands down (overclock it and water cool with a new 65bit waterblock) but again I'm talking about desktops

RoDenT
02-11-2005, 03:48 PM
godsend actually isnt sure about something? is the world coming to an end?

UrbanMerc |- Godsend
02-12-2005, 02:40 PM
hum godsend you mean he doesn't have a idea on somethings. I dont know about a laptop but I would go with 64bit hands down (overclock it and water cool with a new 65bit waterblock) but again I'm talking about desktops

well since we are talking about laptops not desktops you entire post was pointless.

you cannot watercoola laptop. and overclocking a laptop is asking for a $1500 paperweight

Kitch
02-13-2005, 05:27 AM
Overclock + Laptop = Portable Heater.

There really is no point.

Semper Fi
02-13-2005, 10:16 PM
dude kitch if you are stuck on top of a snow covered mountain a portable overclocked laptop may be all you have as a heat source.....just think of the efficiency......of course why you would take a laptop to the peak of a mountain is a very good question. One left for a different time.

Kitch
02-13-2005, 10:57 PM
http://www.tomatochip.com/servlet/ProductView?command=cp&supplierID=473&commodityID=3693&searchIndex=4

PD Gaming Database Error
Database Error Database error
The PD Gaming database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the pdgaming.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The pdgaming.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.