PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of server rules(or lack thereof)

Kitch
04-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Need an "admin only" board -_-;;

Anyways, I've notice certain admin(s) booting users who happen to have a ping of over 250. I've never heard of any sort of rule like this on the servers, WHS or -pd-, although I have heard of other server implimenting rules like this. I'm just wondering if we are to start booting users who happen to have the bad luck of being stuck with dial-up, or if they are to be left alone. Rather then start an in-game arguement over the matter, I'd like to get a "yes" or "no" from HM, or MX before any arguements pop up.

Liggy
04-20-2005, 02:38 AM
I just want to say that the whole 'too high of a ping' causes the server to lag etc just doesn't happen. Granted, the hitbox of a lagging person HPB(High Pinging Bastard) is different then that of a LPB (Low Pinging Bastard... if you've been playing quake1 etc, then you have heard these terms alot) they are extremely easier to kill. You also have that much more of a jump on them when split seconds mean life or death.

I've seen no difference with a server filled with 200 ping guys and a server filled with 30 ping guys. Now, people who hog cmd_rates etc do lag the server. These are the people who have all kinds of non default config files. When you feel the server lagging an assload, that's most likely due to the rate hogs. (people who usually have a quick switch with AWP to pistol etc are most likely also using different rates... they are the ones that try to get as much of an advantage as possible.)

sooooo, after all that, what I just wanted to say is don't kick HPB's... just kill them...

3:40am and 4 hours of PVP on WoW... I'm ready for bed.

Kitch
04-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Heh, been a long time since I've seen LPB and HPB used. Sorta died out after HL and Steam, 56k users rarely try to download the 300+ meg updates I guess.

But ya, I agree, its idiotic to think a few 56k'ers are going to lag a connection as powerful as a -pd- gaming's. If so, DDoS trojans would be targeting dial up users, and not broadband users. It just doesn't make sense that the bandwidth as small as a 56k can do any sort of damage to a industry size connection.

MaStEr~X
04-20-2005, 02:43 PM
56kers don't lag the server. There is no reason to ever kick them solely for this reason. Which admins are?

A personal ping is just that: a personal ping.

I believe there is a set amount of bandwidth per person so too many users could slowdown the server, but not people with high pings.

Don't kick them because they're slow. They chose to join the server. They're fully aware of their late reaction time and broadband users should take advantage.

Retlaw
04-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Now, people who hog cmd_rates etc do lag the server.

Actually, it doesn't really change much, because the PD server is locked at 33u/33d updates a second, barely more than the 25u/30d that is the CSS default. That slight change does help with hit detection though when you shoot, since there are a couple more chances per second for the server to acknowledge you have fired and register a hit on your target.

HostMaster
04-21-2005, 11:58 PM
People should not be kicked or banned for having bad pings. If its a problem, they'll get owned and eventually leave. Don't get flipping mad cow because a 56ker owned you and ban them, gosh! Tater tots rule!

HmniQ
04-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Tater tots!