PDA

View Full Version : So whats required?

jellydoughnut217
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
if im buying a dsl router thats not wireless does that mean i have to buy an ethernet cable long enough to reach from my source to my new computer? If so where the hell do i find an ethernet cable that long? Im talkin like a couple hundred feet.

Retlaw
08-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Yep, you'll want to make sure you use Cat-5/5e, preferably going with STP(Shielded Twisted Pair) over UTP(Unshielded Twisted Pair) to help reduce possible noise in the line.

You will also want to make sure it's not a crossover cable, and that you don't exceed about 300 feet in distance, or you'll lose too much signal strength and lose packets.

http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/cat5estpcables.htm has a 200ft grey STP cable with connectors on it for about $24. That's pretty cheap considering a 6ft patch cable can cost upto $15 by itself.

When you lay the cable, avoid running it too close to flourescent lights, as they put out a ton of EMF's and mess with your seignal. That hum and flicker is more than just annoying.

Kitch
08-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Or shell out the extra 10 bucks and go wireless. A wireless PCI card is like 15 bucks as well, the extra money you spend going wireless will probably be the same, or even cheaper, then trying to buy that much extra cable. Not to mention the time and effort and hassle saved on going wired vs the ease of going wireless.

Also, since going wireless, there are a number of other devices you can use with it. Namely next-gen consoles. IIRC, all of them will use Wi-Fi, not to mention the PSP and the DS.

Wireless FTW

Retlaw
08-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Downside is Wireless is slower, and if you have a lot of electronics/walls between you and your Router, you can get a low signal causing dropouts. On average, a typical Wireless setup can go about 250ft.

There is also a slightly higher ping with wireless, but nothing major unless you have a weak signal as well. If you do go wireless, make sure you secure it so your neighbors don't go stealing your connection.

jellydoughnut217
08-18-2005, 10:21 PM
thanx guys

Kitch
08-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Well, look at it this way

A 801.11b network runs at max, 10mbs @ 500ft max(REALLY good enviroment though, not typical). A typical cable connection is, at max, 700'ish kbs. So even if you have a 10% strength connection, you're still going to get the max outta your cable modem. The only thing that'll lag is file transfers between computers.

If you go with a G network, you get 100mbs with, at max, 500ft distance. Even if you get a 1% signal strength, you're still get 1mbs, which is faster then a standard cable modem.

I have a wireless connection with my router, which is about 80feet away, with 2 walls in the way. I have a flawless connection, even with cell phone and wireless phone interference. As of writing this, my signal strength is "Good", which is above 50%.

You can't really go wrong with wireless now a days. Unless its very important that the connection between your computers is near seamless, you can go wireless. Hell, for just internet, I doubt you'll notice the difference between a wired and wireless internet, unless you're running on some T3 or higher line.

jellydoughnut217
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
sweet, that helped alot kitch. However, if i go wireless do i have to buy a wireless pci card for both my computers?

Retlaw
08-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Any Wireless adapter that can be used in your computer will do, though I do recommend you avoid USB adapters.

jellydoughnut217
08-19-2005, 11:00 PM
so im gonna need one for my current computer, and one for my new one, rght?

PD Gaming Database Error
Database Error Database error
The PD Gaming database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the pdgaming.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The pdgaming.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.