PDA

View Full Version : why dont .avi's work?

jellydoughnut217
09-18-2005, 12:07 AM
whenever i try to download and play an .avi file i get some sort of error message along the lines of "this type of file is not supported", even though im using Windows Media Player and it says its supposed to play .avi files. Ive even tried numerous other media players, but i get the same sort of message with all of them. So i was wondering if theres a solution to this, or if there is some program i can use so i can watch the .avi files?

Kitch
09-18-2005, 04:59 PM
You might need a special codec(Compression Decompression) file most likely.

Google DivX and XviD, those are the 2 most common codecs that .avi's use.

BlackEagle
09-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Or you can download K-Lite Codec Pack, which contains sort of like all the codecs that are relevant for playing the most popular formats out there, head over to Here (http://www.filesharingplace.com/downloads/k-lite_codec_pack.php) and you should download the full version, the file you download is actually an installer so all you gotta do is double click on the installer and choose some options and the installer will take care of the rest, it even comes with an uninstaller too if you choose that path, it also comes with some utilities such as Gspot, which will tell you what codec a particular media file uses and if it is installed in your computer or not.

Liggy
09-18-2005, 07:28 PM
These posts are Lignite approved. Do as they say.

HmniQ
09-20-2005, 08:50 PM
So i was wondering if theres a solution to this, or if there is some program i can use so i can watch the .avi files?Get VLC. www.videolan.org. You'll thank me for it. :)