PDA

View Full Version : movies without DVD?

jellydoughnut217
09-25-2005, 04:43 PM
is it possible to burn movies without a dvd-rw drive? I was thinking, couldnt you just save the movie file onto a regular cd or floppy drive, and then play it on ur computer whenever u wanted? Or is there some other way to burn a movie without dvd-rw? I just want to be able to watch them on my computer, but i dont want them taking up so much space.

Hi BOb
09-25-2005, 05:15 PM
hum you would have to make a ISO and IF it fits on a CD....

Kitch
09-25-2005, 07:41 PM
You make whats called a "VCD", which as you would guess, would be a lower quality movie then compared to a DVD.

You'd have to re-encode it to fit a CD, and since most DVD players don't play DivX, XviD, you have to burn it uncompressed. Which means you can only fit about 30 minutes of watchable video per CD

goto http://www.vcdhelp.com for some tutorials

Liggy
09-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Bootleggers unite!

Hi BOb
09-26-2005, 05:10 AM
I rent movies.. watch them... copy and burn them on dvd.. I have like 50 burned dvds just from renting movies lol

Alt F4
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
If you like wasting time, or if you have a dual core processor, converting DivX AVIs to DVD-R format and burning them to discs can be a lot of fun.

A better solution is to simply burn the DivX AVI to the DVD or CD (if less than 740mb) directly. If your DVD player can't play it, so what? That's why you have a desktop/laptop computer.

I've found by this simple mathematical model, that converting DivX AVIs to DVD-R format is definitely not worth the time.

subtotaltime = encodingtime + burningtime

totaltime = subtotaltime * 2 = subtotaltime + (time I spent watching cartoons while waiting)

cost = totaltime * average worth per rate of time + cost of CPU electricity

cost > retail price of DVD

jellydoughnut217
09-27-2005, 05:02 PM
A better solution is to simply burn the DivX AVI to the DVD or CD (if less than 740mb) directly. If your DVD player can't play it, so what? That's why you have a desktop/laptop computer.
[/COLOR][/B]

this is exactly what i want to do, however i dont have dvd burner so i was going to use a cd, but they say they only run 80 minutes, is this for audio, video, or both?

Kitch
09-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Thats uncompressed audio. Uncompressed video, you can only hold at max about 30-45 minutes.

PD Gaming Database Error
Database Error Database error
The PD Gaming database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the pdgaming.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The pdgaming.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.