PDA

View Full Version : Donations Thread for New Server

HostMaster
04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Here is the deal, we need a new server and I'll pay for half of it if we can get the other half in donations. The new server should eliminate lag on our CS server and allow us to host 1 additional game yet to be determined (Though probably Fortress Forever). You can paypal money to paul@wshost.net or mail a check to:

Paul Phillips
PO Box 25423
Anaheim, CA 92825

If you mail payment, make sure you indicate that it is for pdgaming donation and write anonymous if you don't want your name to appear here.

We need about $700 as a new Dell server that will do the job is $1400 (when they are on sale) Donations received so far:

1. $22 (Anonymous)
2. $350 (Fishing For Bullets/Michael Kromer)
3. $50 (Jolly Roger)
4. $1 (Rodent)
5 $50 (Kitch)

Amount remaining until we order new server: $227.00

You can be assured that your donations will be used for this purpose. I realize that we may not be able to raise $700, and if that is the case I will *eventually* buy a server and pay the difference. But it will be *much*, *much* sooner if we get enough donations. Probably a year without enough donations before I would pay more than half to buy a server. So please donate!

Who will be next? Click the link below to pay via PayPal. Thanks and happy gaming!

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=paul%40wshost%2enet&item_name=PD%20Gaming%20New%20Server&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Caboose
04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
I will as soon as I get paid.

jellydoughnut217
04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
hostmaster, the fact that you are even suggesting that you will pay half the cost of a new server for us to play CSS on reminds me of how awesome you are

Homizide
04-28-2006, 05:04 PM
hostmaster, the fact that you are even suggesting that you will pay half the cost of a new server for us to play CSS on reminds me of how awesome you are
Kiss Ass... lol jk jk!

HostMaster
04-28-2006, 08:27 PM

I didn't think of it that way, but hey now that you mention it, thanks! hehe

Seriously though, I enjoy hosting the games for you guys. To let you in on a little secret, if we get enough donations by the time Fortress Forever comes out we will be hosting both CSS and Fortress Forever on it. And all the TFC fans cheer. hehe

shanknbake
04-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Tfc Fan: "yay!!!!!!! ::cheer::"

Fishing For Bullets
04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
How do you guys take donations, just pay pal?

How about I send you a check.

Are you interested in a server, I build computers. To heck with dell?

I have a server with a T1 connection that will do the trick. I like playing on your server, I have alot of fun, but your server lags to much.

Drop me an email.

Mike

Homizide
04-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I love you mike!

HostMaster
04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Mike,

Bandwidth is not a problem. We host *lots* of very high traffic sites on our Gigabit network. The game server has 100Mbps at any given time at its full disposal. The problem is that it is running on the same server that I bought when we rolled out our CS 1.3 server. Its only a 2Ghz P4. We are going to buy a dell because we have a deal with dell since we buy servers from them for all kinds of other hosting, and because if there is a problem with it it will be easier to fix, since we have more of the same.

Appreciate your offer though, but we just need donations at this point for a server. We have all other infrastructure already in place.

Fishing For Bullets
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
HostMaster,

So it appears you are looking for a dedicated server, and you want donations to get it.

How Much do you have, minus the $700.00 you said you would contribute?

What type of guarantee is there that the donations will be directed to a dedicated game server? If none is the answer, it makes it difficult to donate.

You can see were I'm going, and by the way you never told me how to donate other than PayPal.

The server I have is ip 206.104.177.70:27015

Could be used to scrim on, check it out.

Mike

RoDenT
05-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Paul's word is good enough for me :D

Hi BOb
05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I'll give you ALLLLL my moneys!!!! ....*hum*.... enjoy!

HostMaster
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
100% of the donations will be used toward a dedicated server. The total that has been donated will be kept up to date in the first post of this thread. You can mail in payment to the address listed on the first post as well. So we take paypal, cash, money orders, checks.

Now I do realize that we may not be able to raise $700. If that is the case, I will eventually use what we *do* have and buy a server anyway - meaning I will pay the difference. Though the upgrade will happen MUCH MUCH sooner if we get donations. I'm offering to pay half and would rather not pay more than that.

If you donate, the amount and your name (or anonymous - your preference) will be added to the first post in this thread. This way everyone can track the status of the donations. When it hits $700 I'll buy a server from Dell.

Just to be clear, we are buying a physical server, housing it in our data center, and Phillips Data is paying for all other fees including bandwidth, etc as we have been since CS 1.3. We are not renting anything from any third party and we make no money from hosting the game server.

Fishing For Bullets
05-01-2006, 10:44 AM
And what's up with the Sand Dweller, where did that come from.:cool:

RoDenT
05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
and believe me. the server will be housed in the data center like he said, but it wont be alone. the server will have other friends, which are servers as well, to chill with that are also owned by phillipsdata. it will be locked in a locker making sure the server is safe. and because it is not alone, the server will stay happy all the time because it has friends to be with all sharing the same locker. hopefully the servers dont get sick of eachother while they are cohabitating =P But this will be a nice, fun, friendly environment for the server :D

HostMaster
05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Sand Dweller is a creature in HL2 and it will change as you make more posts.

HostMaster
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
LOL Rodent.

Rodent is, I think, the only person who has actually seen our data center and touched the game server.

If it gets you all excited I may post a pic of the DC.

RoDenT
05-01-2006, 10:55 AM
i almost had an orgasm when i saw and touched it. if i saw a picture i dont know what i would do again.

and to everyone, i met paul, and hes even sexier in person =P

RoDenT
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
also, to anyone that is wondering how you can get the opportunity to see the server, here is how it is done.

first, you need to cut off paul's hand because it checks ur finger prints to even get inside the data center.

then you need to put on paul's face, because there is a camera that checks ur face to the id you need to wear and it compares it to their database. no faking ID's here....you need to actually wear his face.

And finally when you get past that security, you need to find the locker the server is in and find out the locker combo.

Good luck. :D

Fishing For Bullets
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Hostmaster (Do you got a name),

Got the address, will send you a check, it's in the mail.

I hate it when I try to connect to your server and I get kicked because I'm using a reserve slot, can that be corrected once you receive my donation?

Correct me if I'm right, you donated $700.00, and you have one anonymous for $22.00. That brings the total to $722.00. hmmm.

I'm sending a check for $350.00, I'll go half of the half. Why don't some of you others step-up.

I wasn't looking to rent my server, I have a dedicated CSS server on a T1 connection out there for anyone to use. You want to admin it, have fun. It sits in my office at work as a dedicated server, was just offering its use. Not very many people play on it, would just like to see it used.

Built the computer 6 months ago, has a AMD X2 4400, 4 - 160G SATA HD's in Raid 0, 4G Ram. Good for CSS dedicated server.

I love playing CSS, just not that good at it. Need tactic help. My son is very good at it, just can't get him to play that much anymore, he likes WOW.

I hope you hit your mark soon, that lag is killer sometimes:mad: .

Mike

p.s. That it just mean making me a Sand Dweller, lol.

jellydoughnut217
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Fishing For Bullets]

I'm sending a check for $350.00, I'll go half of the half. Why don't some of you others step-up.

QUOTE]

dear lord. You are the man. I have no job or source of income. Im on the same level as bob when it comes to cash.

Homizide
05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
damn if you posted this like 2 weeks ago host you could of have 5000 from me!! I just spent it on a new server/OC3 connection. Im hopping to strike up a deal with NTL....

chrisharper23
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
HM Im sending off my check this week to ya. Hopefully we can get enough to match your price. If not I guess a least inexpensive server would be good I guess.

HostMaster
05-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow, very nice offer Mike. My name is Paul Phillips so make the check out to me with pdgaming donation in the memo line.

The total on the first post of this thread is $22 because my $700 donation will be added when we hit $700. Since it comes from me, no need to paypal myself the money. :)

It kicks you for using a reserved slot? Strange.. but yeah I'll fix it if I can. Any idea what causes it?

Interesting that your son likes WOW, I've been playing that a bit recently. That game is addicting. Looking forward to some good CSS lag free though.

Thanks,.. and your Sand Dweller status will change after like 20 posts or so.

That AMD system you built has some nice stats, surprised more people don't play on it.

-- And Chris, thanks for sending in a check soon here too. At this rate we'll have a new server up before we know it.

Hi BOb
05-02-2006, 08:10 AM
:'( people care about us... *crys on Pauls shoulder*.. *sniff* you make me so happy guys! .. even you brian!!! *hugs*

RoDenT
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
lol what did i do?

Fishing For Bullets
05-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Paul,

Regarding the Reserve Slots, I only get that message when there are 20 or 21 people on the server. I'll try to connect with 20 and the console message I get is "You were disconnected for using a reserve slot". I will not be able to connect until it gets to 19 or less. Not sure if this will help you or not.

Hope you are able to get the server, sooner rather than later. Come on fellas pony up. If you guys are anything like my son, you waste to much money on your girl friends.:eek:

Hope to see ya playing on the server some day.

Mike

chrisharper23
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
haha that's why its best to be single currently, all my money stays with me. I am in the middle of a conflicted decision. I just bought a house, now I am debating whether I trade in my expedition for a H2, or a 2001 mercedes C320. hmmmm

Hooters
05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow... Host, if you want help setting up the server or anything let me know I'll lend some time after the 20th of May, I only have summer school for 10 weeks after that then it's off to find a job. But I will be down in OC interviewing for atleast a few days, that could be extended if you want extra hands... YIPPY!!!

KillerRabbit
05-03-2006, 08:55 AM
also, to anyone that is wondering how you can get the opportunity to see the server, here is how it is done.

first, you need to cut off paul's hand because it checks ur finger prints to even get inside the data center.

then you need to put on paul's face, because there is a camera that checks ur face to the id you need to wear and it compares it to their database. no faking ID's here....you need to actually wear his face.

And finally when you get past that security, you need to find the locker the server is in and find out the locker combo.

Good luck. :D

Rodent, you diffently need to play wow less and play on the css server :D

Hi BOb
05-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Hoots its almost our birthday! YAY

RoDenT
05-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Chris, whatever you do, dont get a fake hummer, aka the h2 or h3. YUCK.

chrisharper23
05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Actually it was either a H2, I hate the H3's I am like 6'8 285lbs and the H3 is a joke of an suv, my expedition owns it! lol

I have chosen to go with the Mercedes C320. Man its perfect! If they allow me to trade in my car and pick it up, I dont' see why, I got A++ credit, I have good income since I just moved, and the cars only 21K.

I mean I like the size of SUV's since Im a big guy, but Im not doing anything with the extra size, and I could cut costs on gas, I mean I got the money for gas, but the benz would be a hell of a lot less at the gas station and I mean its a benz.

RoDenT
05-05-2006, 11:44 AM
lol, its a benz, you cant go wrong. If you were even contemplating a hummer...i would go with the original. That thing is a beast >=)

jellydoughnut217
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
geo metro, convertable.

chrisharper23
05-05-2006, 08:58 PM
jelly, my head would sit over the windshield, lol. Not cool. lol

noob
05-05-2006, 09:26 PM
damn chris u must be rich getting a hummer with gas prices at a all time high thats like 50bucks a week for gas for that hummer maybe more

chrisharper23
05-06-2006, 08:19 AM
fo' sho' anton! But Im actually passing up on the H2, gas is pretty high out here, not as bad as out there. But dude Im getting like I was telling Rodent, a mercedez benz C320! here's a pic of what it looks like, this isn't the one but this is the same yr/model

http://beliva.netfirms.com/c320/c320_b.jpg

noob
05-07-2006, 02:35 AM
pretty ugly IMO maybe if u put some rims on it and tint the windows it might look ok but why dont u get a new car and not focus on the make so much cause thats overpriced pos get a dodge charger now thats a car

Hi BOb
05-07-2006, 08:42 AM
hey show off post in the SHOWOFF FOrUMS GOSH.. hey noob.

HostMaster
05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Lets keep this thread on track please. Anything else posted that is not related to this thread will be deleted.

HostMaster
05-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks to Fishing for Bullets for the very generous $350 server donation. We need only $328 more in donations until we get a new server.

Fishing For Bullets
05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Paul,

Seen the donation update, you can put my screen name up "Fishing For Bullets".

Hope the rest of the guys can make up the difference, looking forward to some lag-free gaming.

Mike

[pdgaming]JollyRoger
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Paulie, I sent ya some Coin.

Cheers!

HostMaster
05-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the donation! I'll reply to your email and update this thread sometime tonight... I thought of you as I flew over New Mexico through to Dallas, and then NYC last week. I want to go for a ride in your Hummer.

[pdgaming]JollyRoger
05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the donation! I'll reply to your email and update this thread sometime tonight... I thought of you as I flew over New Mexico through to Dallas, and then NYC last week. I want to go for a ride in your Hummer.

Anytime! In fact, you can drive one, and I'll drive the other!

Hi BOb
05-11-2006, 11:21 AM
once again... post here (http://www.pdgaming.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)

shanknbake
05-14-2006, 10:37 AM
JollyRoger']Anytime! In fact, you can drive one, and I'll drive the other!

....u have 2 HUmmers!??!????!?! OKay arnald S. haha BTW H.M., with the new server, you think u will be able to bump up the # of players to 30+? also add some kewl mods? oh and most importantly.....add a MAP ROTATION!?!? hahah

Hi BOb
05-16-2006, 08:24 AM
cough up the $$ and we'll think about making it to 30 :rolleyes:

HostMaster
05-16-2006, 10:27 AM
lol as if hibob has a say in whether it goes to 30. lol

personally I think 30 is too many. I might increase it if it will work, but not to 30.

Fishing For Bullets
05-17-2006, 09:20 AM
I would agree, 30 is to many.

A slight increase to deal with the high volume times would be good though.

Maybe 24 or 26.

Comon people, were's your money at. Lets get this server going.

HostMaster
05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Dell has 25% off their servers right now (which is what I was counting on for the $1400 price) - which is good for another week, so if we can raise the money in the next week we will be good to go. The have the discounts most of the time, but they space it out some.

Kitch
05-17-2006, 01:00 PM
50 bucks sent.

*cross fingers for TFC soon*

HostMaster
05-17-2006, 01:51 PM
atal Session Error: 137: Can't open file: 'pstats_sessions.MYI'. (errno: 145) =(

table was corrupted, i fixed it.

And THANKS for the donation! I'll get that added in the total right away.

HostMaster
05-17-2006, 01:57 PM
$227 left until new server

Homizide
05-17-2006, 02:09 PM
$227 left until new server
*looks at wallet* *looks at dad* god damn it!

RoDenT
05-17-2006, 08:02 PM
steal it while hes sleeping.

Hooters
05-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I may be able to get some more $$$ to ya this week or next, just depends on how my b-day and grad presents come in and what not.

Fishing For Bullets
05-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Paul,

Do you think I could get a reserve slot for that donation I made. I'm still having troubles connecting, very difficult last night.

It appears that the server has reserved 2 slots for people in your reserveslots.txt file. I believe through mani's mani_server.cfg you can have people kicked while in game when a person with a reserve slot joins, based on ping etc.. Many times I see 20 people on the server and can't join because of the way the reserve slots are setup, I may be wrong, but feel my assumptions are correct.

You can change the "mani_reserve_slots_allow_fill", I believe it is defined as "0" keeping the slots open in your server to a "1", and then they will be allowed to fill. Then have mani_reserve_slots_kick_method "0", this way the highest ping player gets kicked first.

Mike

HostMaster
05-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi Mike,

I have no problem with you having a reserved slot, but it doesnt work and I'm not sure why. Here are the settings:

mani_reserve_slots 1 // Turn on off reserve slots
mani_reserve_slots_number_of_slots 2 // Number of reserve slots you have
mani_reserve_slots_kick_message "You were disconnected for using a reserve slot" // User defined message shown in players console when kicked
mani_reserve_slots_redirect_message "This server is full, you are being redirected to another one of our servers" // User defined message for redirection $
mani_reserve_slots_redirect "" // The IP address of the server you wish to redirect players to. Leave it blank if you do not want redirection to $
mani_reserve_slots_allow_slot_fill 1 // This defines whether you want your reserve slots to fill with reserve players or always be kept free (1 = allow$
mani_reserve_slots_kick_method 0 // Type of method used to kick players, 0 = by highest ping (spectators first), 1 = by connection time (sp$
mani_reserve_slots_include_admin 1 // Include admins in the adminlist.txt file as players who have reserve slots (1 = include admins)

Liggy
05-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Have you installed the latest version of mani?

HostMaster
05-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Probably not.

I may wait to upgrade mani when we get a new server - that way it will be a fresh install of everything and then i'll just copy over some of the configs.

Homizide
05-28-2006, 05:38 PM
hey host can you upgrade me to level 4 admin, please!!!!! I havent got a complaint against me... yet ;)

HostMaster
05-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah, no problem homizide - your level 4 starting next map rotation.

I upgraded several other admins too.

Homizide
05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
hell yes!!!! ty :D

Hooters
05-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Was i won of them?

RoDenT
05-29-2006, 04:43 PM
just because you met hostmaster still doesnt make you special hooters :P jk <3

i met him too though, but i got to see the server! mwahahahaha

Fishing For Bullets
05-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Paul,

Did some research, the server is working the way it is suppose to. The server is full with 20 players to non admin and reserve slot players, based on the server setting there's 2 slots left open for admin and reserve slot player when they join. Supposedly at some point Mani is going to correct this know problem to allow the server to fill to the config limit.

Mike

HostMaster
05-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks Mike.

What Im concerned the most about is that when I try to connect to the server and its full it tells me it is full - as if it won't even try to connect to allow the server to check if I have a reserved slot. Seems like steam just checks if its full and if it is tells me tough luck without trying.. any thoughts on that?

chrisharper23
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Since you have made me admin, I have had no trouble joining the server with 20 or 21 people. I haven't tried on a full server to see how the reserve will come into play, but yeah for me, it allows me to still join. Where as before I was admin I couldn't join if it had 19+ ppl, only because someone would log in first.

Fishing For Bullets
06-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Seems like everyone is holding tight to their money.

Only $227.00 to go, lets pick it up people.

I know what it is your all going to make me pay the remainder, that has been the master plan from the start.:D

Dang it I'm still a "Sand Dweller":cool:

crazy wombat
06-13-2006, 02:08 PM
dudes as soon as I get munney$$ ill donate sum stuff.

Hi BOb
06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
<-- quiting wow because I cant pay for it.

chrisharper23
06-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Bob, check out this site

http://www.wowstatus.net/

A complete site dedicated to offering FREE WOW SERVERS.

Yeah you may not get all the newest updates, may not be able to play with as many people, but you do get to play for free! Blizzard is working on shutting them down, but it won't happen anytime soon. There's just too many.

I had 10 day trial of wow, I think I lasted 30min. Just didn't like it. Guild Wars all the way!

Hi BOb
06-14-2006, 05:56 PM
<-- 1st of all boo to freeservers u should pay for peoples work. 2nd I'm taking a break from it anyhow.

Homizide
06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
<-- 1st of all boo to freeservers u should pay for peoples work. 2nd I'm taking a break from it anyhow.
what do you call buying the game then the monthly subscription? :p ;)

Caladium
06-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I was addicted to GW for about 2 months, but after that it was hella boring lol. There's nothing else to do in the game after you're lvl 20, explored everywhere, and got all the pimp items :| I would get the expansion but there's still a lvl 20 restriction so I don't see the point....

I wish I could pay for WoW but I'm ridiculously cheap lol, and for some reason I never thought of playing on a free server though..don't know why ;D Might try that sometime.............

Hi BOb
06-15-2006, 07:58 AM
what do you call buying the game then the monthly subscription? :p ;) paying for peoples work?... u pay monthly to keep up they're servers and tech team food.

Homizide
06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
ya but its about time to move on to developing a newer game they are probably doing pretty well for themselves right now......

chrisharper23
06-15-2006, 03:13 PM
boo to free servers?

You said you had to stop cuz you couldn't afford it, so I gave you other alternatives to be able to at least play the game that you seem to like a lot. And IMO when you drop the 50$ for it, you just paid for their hard work on the game. Updates and patches shouldn't require anymore cost from the users. I know you pay monthly for their server updates and extra content and all that but still.

But just think about it like this.

Whether you pay per month or buy game time to play on blizzards servers or you play on a free one, in the end they still make BANK with or without your cash. They go home comfortably after the day of work. So are you really taking away from them if you choose to play on a free server? NO.

Hi BOb
06-15-2006, 03:51 PM
theres so many things wrong with that post I donno where to start. I gusse I'll start from the start.
When your short on money does not mean you should play on free server it means you need a job.
Your not paying for updates and patches your paying for they're work witch makes the world go around.
Let me ask you this.. if everyone stoped paying and whent to free servers you still think wow would make out? even if they do it will because they worked hard for it.
Does paying for games bug you? how about servers * looks at host * look at his puppy like eyes and tell him that he does not need money to eat and to alow us to play free on his server that HE pays for MONTHLY.

HostMaster
06-15-2006, 03:56 PM
lets GET BACK ON TOPIC. Anymore posts not related to donations to pdgaming.com will be deleted.

Homizide
06-15-2006, 04:14 PM
I pay for servers hell I run a f-ing buiness with them! Anywho ya host im trying to scrap some money togethor without my dad knowing so ya. :o