PDA

View Full Version : Lag question router/cable modem.

KillerRabbit
10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
For the past week my internet ping in game at night has shot up to 400 300 ect, even on servers i was geting 30 ping during the day and not just css tfc but doom3 ect. Now I just had some of my isp tech guys (since they came when i was at college I couldnt talk to them) from what i know they just checked some stuff out like the speed recieved ect. Now the question, If it lags doesnt change between the computer being connected to the router or to the cable modem is it the router thats at fault? Currently since tuesday the router has stoped working completely. The "tech" guy thinks its the router and fail to attempt to answer me why its laging on a direct or routed connection... I checked both to seperately to see if it was the router :\. I thought well if its laging on both connections its not the router, now i have no damn idea. Figured i would just post this here for a quick response and not bother with the isp...again.

Yes I checked it into being the firewall, but during the day i get great connection the internet is fast then later in the night bam high ass lag.

Godsend
10-05-2006, 09:18 AM
if you are lagging with the router installed and with it not intalled it is not the router causing the lag. this doesn't mean its not helping cause lag but its nnot the primary source.

nighttime lag could be caused by any number of things. if your on a cable internet it could be that alot of people in your area are all online at the same time.

it could be a router between you and the servers having timeout problems.

it could also be the server host

i would probably start by doing a tracert on the servers your lagging on to see if a router is going bad somewhere between your house and the server.

to do a tracert click start goto "run" and type "cmd" without quotes into the box and hit enter.

now a dos screen will come up

in the window type "tracert 127.0.0.1" without quotes and with 127.0.0.1 being the server ip. you don't ned the port number of the server

click enter

now a report will start to display. look for anything that says "timeout" of has a higher ping then 40ms.

if you see timeout of a high ping then that router is causing the problems.

nothing you can do to fix it but at least you may know where the lag comes from .

KillerRabbit
10-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I did a tracert when I started laging nothing came up as timeout 9ms on the list. My isp told me its not spouse to lag no matter how many people are on at a time.
This whole lag thing is driving me nuts, I've noticed now that when ever server on the game list ping shoots up and the internet is slugish I go do a internet speed test on 2 different websites. My connection was uped to 3mb from 256kps(i think) just a few days ago. This lag spikes have been a problem before I changed it also the tests show the speed droping and its 1mb or more, when its not droping everthing is going fine.

So the isp has a log on all the speeds ect.. they say its all the same and everthign is fine on there end and its my router or my cable modem laging because of the upgrade. I'm going to try to use a different cable modem in theory that should determine if its the cable modem thats causeing all this.

Thanks for the info, my knowledge on some of this stuff is very low. Maybe when i get out of college i can start learning this things like the tracert.

Worst comes to worse.. when i get fid up of this lag crap.. i switch isps, the 2nd big isp company that is in my area already put a highspeed line to my house just incase i switch.

ok.. after a bit of thinking im just going to go to the isp get a different cable modem see if that fixes it.. since it shows there sending 3mb or better, but on my tests its showing that or lower.. unless im a complete moron :p

Homizide
10-05-2006, 08:00 PM
what type of router?
What software is instaled?
What firewall do you have?
Are there other people on a wireless network?

KillerRabbit
10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
linksys and a belkin wireless router 54g (and no i dont run the both at the same time)
Linksys seems to not be working atm... no software installed its always worked just fine with out it. Currently just running the windows firewall, on my other computer ZoneAlarm and the other computer Macaffe. Far as I know theres no other ppl connecting to the wireless part of it, I pretty much Fed itup =) trying to encrypt it.. its set on all that just doesnt work plus the long ass password so i cant even use the wireless so im thinking no one is on it.

Like i said before, im thinking its the cable modem itself.. its something i over looked :\. I shall go to the isp and get one to try out for a bit see if thats the cause.. though im not one bit happy with their freaking tech support..

alright I'm off to bed.

KillerRabbit
10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=KillerRabbit;5254]linksys and a belkin wireless router 54g (and no i dont run the both at the same time)
Linksys seems to not be working atm... no software installed its always worked just fine with out it. Currently just running the windows firewall, on my other computer ZoneAlarm and the other computer Macaffe. Far as I know theres no other ppl connecting to the wireless part of it, I pretty much Fed itup =) trying to encrypt it.. its set on all that just doesnt work plus the long ass password so i cant even use the wireless so im thinking no one is on it.

Update, Im going to chew the hell out of my isp... and get to the bottom of this.. its not my router or cable modem im almost certain because it never acts up during the day it lag at set hours...

Homizide
10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
people hacking your comp from india! :eek:

PD Gaming Database Error
Database Error Database error
The PD Gaming database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the pdgaming.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The pdgaming.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.