PD Gaming

PD Gaming (http://www.pdgaming.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.pdgaming.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Which laptop? (http://www.pdgaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238)

InVinCiBLe 04-26-2005 08:50 AM

Which laptop?

Okay, I have been contemplating getting a laptop for a while now. I know that I should wait until the summer for the prices to drop. Since I want to play WoW so badly and my current computer is not capable of doing that, I am forced to buy a laptop.

Here are the two laptops that I have been reviewing:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=i6000S3&s=dhs

AND

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh..._components.do

The first computer is a Dell:(Model Inspiron 6000)
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
15.4 inch UltraSharp WUXGA LCD Panel
512MB DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
60GB Hard Drive @ 7200rpm
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
TOTAL(SHIPPING INCLUDED):$1,265.00

The second computer is an HP:(Model zv6000)
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional with SP2
AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!
128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
1Yr Ltd Warranty
TOTAL(SHIPPING INCLUDED):$1,098.00

I am most concerned about their video cards. For the HP laptop, it says "Available options include ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M with up to 128MB of dedicated memory and 128MB of shared system memory". What does this mean? Also, for the HP, I am not sure if I should get AMD Sempron or AMD 64. And my last question is if I get 1x512 DDR RAM, is it easy to buy another stick online and add it to my laptop... and how much would it cost? WHICH LAPTOP IS BETTER FOR GAMES and which one is just more worth it?

THX!

Hooters 04-26-2005 03:39 PM

Go for the Dell!!! The Hp system is more of a workhorse for corprate use, not for gaming. The centrino system will do wonders, it's what i use and I get 2.5-3 hours of battery usage. The Pentium m procs are great, im using a 1.3ghz and it works as well as a 2ghz or better, and then the x300 is better for graphics and games than the other gpu for the hp. Also the DDR2 would be nice. I wouldn't suggest getting anything more than the minimum warrenties, you prolly won't use it and you can always fall back on the manufacturer warranty. If you got questions pm or aim me you should still have the info, skihtrs2k.

HostMaster 04-26-2005 06:42 PM

I just got a Dell 600m with the Pentium M 1.5Ghz processor. 512 DDR, XP Pro, Radeon 9000 64MB ram. 8x CD and DVD writer. I went with the most expensive LCD with a native resolution of 1400x1050. Built in Wireless and Bluetooth. Got an extra battery too. The battery indicator says 3-4 hours on full charge. Pretty sweet. Haven't put any games on it yet but I plan to install CS:S and maybe Doom 3. I need a USB mouse tho.

InVinCiBLe 04-26-2005 07:25 PM

Do you guys know if the Dell is capable of playing CS:S on full resolution smoothly? Also, do you think that it is good enough to play World of Warcraft smoothly? Is it easy to buy a 512 stick of memory online? How much would it cost? Will games run smoother if I had more RAM(Such as 1GB instead of only 512MB)?

For any of you who are thinking of getting a new Dell, there are coupons available online that discount the computers by $750. Here is the link:
http://www.couponmountain.com/Dell/i...e=Inktomi_Dell

THX

HostMaster 04-26-2005 10:11 PM

You tell me now?!?! $750?!?!

Ha ha, I know. I used one. I like www.gottadeal.com/dell.php best. You can also check out www.bensbargains.net

InVinCiBLe 04-27-2005 07:19 AM

Haha. Yeah, those coupons are soooooooo cool!

Hooters 04-27-2005 10:08 AM

the x300 should run cs:s smoothly at 600x800 res. The 512 mb of ram is find esp. since the video card had dedicated ram.

Kitch 04-27-2005 11:59 AM

Very hard choice.

The 2nd one has the AMD64 processor, better then the pentium in the first. But the first has a way better GFX card, pretty much as good as laptop cards get IIRC.

And I'd get 1gig of ram if you can. You'll notice a difference on CS:S and on WoW if you only have 512.

If you can upgrade the card on the AMD laptop, I'd say go for that one. Other then that....man...I dunno.

UrbanMerc |- Godsend 04-28-2005 08:33 PM

neither of those will play wow very smoothly. it will be playable but not 100% smooth.

i play on my laptop and even it struggles. my specs are:
1.5ghz pent M
512MB pc3200
40gb 5400rpm hd
radeon 9700 mobile

problem #1 is the vcards. laptop vcards are realy crippled. my 9700 is about as powerful as maybe a low end desketop 9500np.

problem #2 is hd's. the dell would be fine with the 7200rpm drive but the HP would would have a big bottleneck with that 5400rpm drive.

problem #3 is ram. 512MB just does not cut it for any modern games. upgrading to 1gb is highly recommended

now that said i do play everything on my laptop from cs:s, doom3, WoW and anything else i cann fit. and it will play everything but i usually have to turn all video settings to almost as low as theyn will go.

the cpu's won't make much difference. the a64 is technically better for games but since it is a laptop cpu and not a desktop it is much difference other then power consumption which the pentium m will be better for. the pentium m is plenty strong for all tasks. don't let the low ghz scare you i was happily suprised just how powerful these chips are.

hope that helps you make your decision.

Kitch 04-28-2005 10:17 PM

Or just build your own desktop.

Laptops aren't really for gaming anyways